The chances of conceiving a child are determined by the volume of sperm, the content of spermatozoa in the ejaculate and other parameters of the sperm. Any deterioration of sperm quantity and quality can lead to reproductive problems, therefore, when preparing for conception, it is important to identify these deteriorations and eliminate them in time.
Normal sperm count – norms of quantity of spermatozoa in semen
What is normal sperm count? According to the WHO guidelines, normal sperm should contain a certain number of male reproductive cells – at least 40 million per milliliter of liquid (sperm). The minimum allowable concentration limit is 15 million per milliliter of liquid (this condition is called “low sperm count”). Here’s the list of factors that can be the cause for the decrease in the number of male sex cells in sperm:
– obstruction of the vas deferens and varicocele;
– prolonged use of anabolic steroids;
– trauma in the penis and scrotum, alcohol abuse, smoking, etc.
How to treat low sperm count
If a male has obstruction of the vas deferens and varicocele, surgical treatment may be required to treat these diseases. Inadequate sperm count treatment methods may include rejection of bad habits that affect the production of spermatozoa in testicles. If you use anabolic steroids, you will have to cancel their intake.
Normal and low semen volume
According to the World Health Organization, the average indicator of the volume of ejaculate is 3.7 ml (about three-quarters of a teaspoon). Even if a man gets a slightly smaller amount of sperm, this is not a cause for concern. However, if the volume is 1.5 ml or less (that is, less than a third of a teaspoonful), one should think about visiting a healthcare professional. This condition may indicate some diseases that cause a reduction in the amount of ejected sperm. Low semen volume may indicate a partial or full blocking of seminal vesicles due to their inflammation (seminal vesiculitis).
There are also other diseases that can cause such an effect. One of them is hypogonadism, functional testicular ailment. This disease can cause erectile dysfunction and a decrease in the volume of sperm produced. Other symptoms of the disease are fatigue, weakness, and problems with concentration.
Problems with the amount of semen can also be caused by diabetes. Constant jumps in blood sugar levels damage the nerves and blood vessels. As a result, nerve signals deteriorate which worsens the erectile function and reduces the amount of sperm produced.
How to treat low semen volume
How to fix low semen volume? Methods of curing depend on the causes of the condition (as well as in the case of low sperm count). For example, treatment of male hypogonadism is carried out with testosterone meds, and diabetes requires the use of sugar-reducing drugs and/or insulin injections. In addition, healthy nutrition can help you to increase semen volume. A healthy diet should include whole grain food, vegetables, poultry, fish, and fruits. Such fruits as pineapple can even make cum taste better.
Normal sperm count and other sperm parameters
1. Consistency. A normal sperm has a homogeneous consistency. At the time of ejaculation, it looks like a thick gel. However, within 20-30 minutes the semen is liquefied and becomes liquid. A longer liquefaction time may result from inflammatory diseases of the genitourinary system, as well as overheating of the testicles.
2. Morphology of spermatozoa. As a rule, a large number of spermatozoa with an abnormal structure (anomalous shape, the curvature of the cervix, etc.) are usually detected in sperm. However, according to the WHO guideline, at least 4% of spermatozoa should be normal.
3. The content of leukocytes. An increased number of these blood cells indicate inflammatory processes (diseases).
4. The presence of anti-sperm antibodies. These special proteins lead to gluing and deactivation of spermatozoa.
In addition, there are other characteristics of sperm, such as color and amount of fructose in the ejaculate. You can learn more about this by reading other interesting articles on our website.
How low sperm count and other similar conditions are diagnosed?
The common method to measure sperm volume and define other parameters of sperm is spermogram (sperm clinical analysis). The main spermogram method is the microscopic analysis of the ejaculate, during which the characteristics of the cell elements of the test material are determined, including the number and mobility of spermatozoa, the number of leukocytes and immature cells. Other semen parameters are also recorded, such as volume, color, liquefaction time, and pH. Spermogram material collection is usually conducted with the help of masturbation. This is the most suitable method recommended by the WHO.